Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mr. Smarty Pants


Remember how Dallin learned how to spell his name by himself? Well, a few weeks later I was in nursery and Dallin was coloring on the chalkboard. I thought I'd ask him if he could write his name. It took him a minute to figure out how to shape the letters, but then he did it. Since then he's been writing his name on his nursery papers every week. I decided I'd better get some sort of preschool workbook to keep him happy and challenged. We've been flying through it with little instruction on my part. I'm surprised how neat he's writing his letters. Steve said a lot of them are as good as Caden's! The lines for Dallin to practice writing his letters are quite large, as they are with most early writing papers. Dallin thinks it is hilarious to write his letters a quarter of the size. We'll write them tiny, show me, I exclaim how tiny they are, and he laughs and laughs. But they are still neat and legible!
So, I started to think maybe I should get him into a preschool next year. There's a lady in the ward who does a preschool from her home and she would be wonderful, so I asked her about it. For Dallin to attend three days a week, two hours a day, it would be $225 a month! Suddenly homeschooling sounds great again! There are a lot of kids his age in church, so maybe I could get some mom's together to do it. At this point I'm not sure he'd be getting much academically from preschool, and $225 is a lot to pay for social time!
We are also very proud of Caden. He's reading really well and spells well too. He gets that from his dad. I never could spell and depend wholly on spell check. In fact, often I spell so poorly that spell check can't figure out what I'm trying to say. Anyway, Caden has consistently been getting 100% on his spelling tests, that his teacher had to come up with a harder list for him to challenge him. It's a challenge for me now too because now I actually have to help him study! He's enjoying the challenge though and I love to see his sense of accomplishment.

1 comment:

Linda S Smith said...

Dallin must take after his grandma. Not me. His other grandma