Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why can't boys communicate?

Last week Caden's teacher sent home a note saying, "Ask Caden about the award he got in the assembly today!" I thought, cool. So as we were walking home, I tried to get him to tell me about it.
Me - How was your day?
Caden - Fine.
Me - Did you do anything fun?
Caden - Not really.
Me - Anything exciting happen?
Caden - Nope.
Okay, I'm guess I need to be more specific.
Me - Did you have an assembly today?
Caden - Yeah! (a little surprised)
Oh good, now he'll tell me.
Me - Did any thing fun happen there?
Caden - No.
Argh!
Me - What did they do?
Caden - They gave out awards.
Me - Did you get an award?
Caden - No! (a little defensively)
What?
The whole way home I kept trying to get him to tell me about this award, but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I finally pulled out the note from his teacher and had him read it.
Caden - Oh yeah! I got an award.
Great! That's a start.
Me - Cool! What was it for?
Caden - Working hard.
Yes! We're on a roll!
Me - Who gave it to you?
Caden - Mrs. Ferachi. (his teacher)
Then I had to try and figure out if it was just some award that his teacher did for all the kids in the class, or maybe it was just the first grade. It was like pulling teeth to get it out of Caden. Finally, we got the story straight. It was a school wide assembly. His principal gave him a certificate for working hard. He was the only one from first grade. And everyone clapped for him. Pretty awesome. When we finally figured it out, we were very proud of him! And yes, these are the best pictures we got!



































Today was the 100th day of school for Caden. He made this castle out of 100 sugar cubes. I thought it turned out pretty well. Steve helped Caden find a picture of a castle on the internet, then they designed it together and I helped him glue it.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Way to go Caden! We actually have to have "feelings time" every night to get Alan to tell us what made him, happy, sad, etc. It was an assignmnet by the Doctor and otherwise he would never tell us.

KellyAnne said...

Haha! I know exactly what you mean! THe best information I get out of my kindergartener is at random moments throughout the day. It's usually not a convenient time to talk, but I'll take what I can get!

Buffy said...

Oooh so typical...that was like having a conversation with Jake. And congrats Caden!

Leesa Marie Jones said...

That's so funny. It reminds me of the conversations I have with my K age daughter. I think it's just "kid communication".
Good job on the award Caden!