Saturday, February 27, 2010

Happy (really late) Valentine's Day!

My sister posted a funny bit on trying to compete with the elaborate "card" exchanges at the school, and it made me want to share what we did. It just took a while to get around to it! Starting at the beginning of Feb Caden started talking about how excited he was for Valentine's Day. I kept thinking, really? So I asked him why. He answered with a grin, "Because Daddy always gets us a chocolate heart!"
Okay, I need to explain this. When I was growing up, every year we'd wake up Valentine's day with an inexpensive heart with chocolates on our pillow from our dad. It wasn't much, but it really made us feel special and we loved it. I wanted Steve to carry on this tradition. Of course, he didn't think it was any big deal, so I was always the one to get the heart, make him sign it, and put it on his pillow. Well, this year with Caden constantly giggling in anticipation, Steve realized it was important to them. I wanted to do something special for them too, but didn't want to "compete" with Steve, so I had to think of something non-candy. I found these little heart molds at Target for $1 and knew I could use them. Caden has eczema, so I make little bath fizzies for the boys because he can't use bubble bath. I used the molds to make cute little heart fizzies for them. Then I found this little dinosaur tag I attached to the bag. Yes, I know it says friend, and Steve thought I was weird for using it, but I knew the boys would like the dinosaur and not really care about what it said. And, of course, I was right!



I wanted to make fun stuff to eat for them too. I was going to make them pink heart pancakes for breakfast, but the boys started talking about how they really wanted eggs and sausage for breakfast on Valentines.
I tried to die the eggs pink, but of course they turned out orange. The boys went along with it though. Then I made "magic" milk for them. I put a couple drops of food coloring in a glass when they weren't looking, so when I poured the milk, it magically turned pink. They loved that and kept asking for magic milk days later. Maybe we'll have it on St Patrick's Day...



For lunch we had tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches and red soda. I cut the sandwiches into little hearts and everyone really liked them, even Andrew!
Dinner was fun too, but we didn't get any pictures.

So Allison, this post was for you! I hope it sparks your imagination for next year! :)

1 comment:

Allison said...

What a great mom you are. I'm thinking I'll do a special breakfast next year, and I love the magic milk idea. How do you make bath fizzies?